Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Reflecting on What We Have Instead of What We Don't During the Holidays

Regardless of your religious beliefs there is something very powerful about this time of year.  The happy become happier.  The lonely become lonelier.  The sad become sadder.  We think back to Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Year's of the past.  We think of the people that are no longer here to celebrate this time with us.  We think of the struggles of our past that we have overcome.  Our lives change year after year.  Children grow into adults, our relationships change, our financial security changes, and our goals change.  This is a wonderful time of year to reflect back and look forward.

This year I am experiencing Christmas on crutches.  It would be easy enough to complain about how challenging that is.  I can sit on the sofa and whine about how my foot hurts and how hard it is to complete my Christmas tasks.  Instead of doing that I have decided to look at the fact that I have my foot.  In fact, I am lucky enough to have all my limbs.  There are men and woman in the military that have lost their limbs this year so that I may sit on my sofa and not fear that my house will be bombed.  Sure I have pain, but my pain is bearable.  That is a lot better then others.

Pretty soon I will have to refill the oil tank that we use to heat our home.  It is going to be so expensive.  I am not looking forward to the bill.  Then again, at least I have a home that I can heat.  There are families in Haiti that are still living in tents.  They would be happy to have a solid home to live in whether or not the heat was running.  There are people in our own country that do not have a home.    Looking at it that way, please give me the bill.  I am happy to have it.

Yesterday when I picked my son up from school he started a fight with his sister before we even walked out the door.  I could get mad.  I could scream out, "I am so sick of this.  I need a break".  The other option is to look at them, correct the behavior and cherish the moment.  After all, I have two children.  They are healthy.  I get to see them every day.  Suddenly their fight is not so annoying anymore.  What would I do if I did not get to see them every day?  Could I bare it?  Could I handle it if one of them was diagnosed with a terminal illness?  What if I was never was able to have children at all?

My husband, Michael, has had to help me out since my surgery.  I hate the way he cleans.  Can he not see the fingerprints on the cabinet?  How many times do I have to tell him how to fold a towel or where I keep the extra tape?  I get so mad when he beats on my vacuum.........Wait......"STOP!", I must tell myself.  At least he is doing something to help.  He could do nothing.  I could be married to a man that beats me.  The next time he asks me where he could find a pen instead of screaming, "In the desk drawer where they always are!", I can say with a smile, "In the desk drawer.  Would you like me to get that for you?"

At this time of year we reflect.  We take in all the good and the bad and try to decide what to do with all of it.  Some of us make New Year's resolutions.  This year, when you look back, think about all that you have.  Not what you don't have.  Think of what you are able to do to improve the life of someone that has less.  Perhaps you can contribute time or funds to this ministry.   Maybe you will volunteer your time at a local charity or fund raising event.  Set a New Year's resolution that means something.  Make a resolution that will steer you in the direction of doing for others.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment