Friday, August 20, 2010

The Recent Passing of a Friend - by Rev. Denise Clapsaddle

My dear friend Melanie Pieper-Utter passed away yesterday at the age of forty-six. I don’t remember a time when I didn’t know Melanie. She was the oldest of six siblings who went to my church and my school. We survived a two-year long confirmation class, as this photo attests. (She’s the tall one, I’m the awkward looking short girl.) Both of us continued to cling to the Christian faith nurtured in us at St. Peter’s United Church of Christ. Melanie and I shared a sarcastic sense of humor that we probably got from our respective fathers. Melanie also had a sweetness that reminded me of her mom, a wonderful woman who clearly felt that children are life’s greatest reward and blessing. I can’t imagine how painful this loss is for Mel’s family. Her younger sister also died of cancer.
In life Mel was a hair stylist who specialized in making hair pieces and wigs for those who had lost their own hair. She helped many cancer survivors through her vocation. Mel’s passing has inspired me to begin making chemo caps for other cancer survivors. Cancer survivors appreciate having a variety of items to cover their head quickly and comfortably, something to wear around the house or while running errands. A good chemo hat needs to be soft, because a cancer survivor’s scalp can be tender. It should also be knitted or crocheted in a closed pattern, in order to conceal the hair loss.
I am a loom knitter. I picked up loom knitting because I found it difficult to make loose, even stitches while knitting and crocheting. Another member of our church was a loom knitter and so I decided to try and I was instantly hooked. Loom knitting is somewhat faster and easier than knitting with needles. I have made a variety of items and enjoy challenging myself with new patterns. A good source of loom knitting patterns can be found online at http://springyknitting.com/_wsn/page2.html

-Rev. Denise Clapsaddle



Below is a photo of a hat and mitten set done with loom knitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment